Thursday, November 15, 2012

Beep, Beep! by Batoul Bayram


 
Beep, beep, beep! I hate beeps; they are all over my life. Have you ever noticed how our world is full of beeps?  Everywhere you go, beeps are chasing you. Cell phones, cars, toys and even when you're at home, electrical appliances will keep beeping at you until you bend to their demands.

 

I wake up every morning with the alarm clock beeps. Beep, beep, beep! Snooze button. And again: Beep, beep, beep! It is such a pain, even if it can help a non-morning person like me get out of the bed. My day will start, and my beeps will be waiting for me impatiently. My cell phone's beeps will be the first to get on my nerves. Beep, whenever I got a text message; beep, when the battery is low; beep, when the battery is full; beep, beep, and beep!

 

Each room in my house has a special beep; however, my kitchen is overloaded with annoying beeping devices: Fridge, oven, microwave, dishwasher, coffee machine and smoke detector—all  of them are giving me orders. Beep, “think before you open,” my fridge shouts every time I leave the door open for a mere moment. Beep, “take out your food,” my microwave screams whenever I forget to turn it off. Beep, “your coffee is ready,” beep, “your dishes are clean,” beep, “put in the food,” beep, beep, beep! 

 

And this won't get any better if I move to the laundry room—my nightmare. Having a modern washing machine was supposed to facilitate my work, but unfortunately it hasn’t. It just keeps beeping at me during the whole cycle. Beep, it starts; beep, it is moving from wash to spin; beep, it is adding bleach; beep, it is done! It is giving me a beeping update on the status of my clothes!   

 

After trying to run away from my house beeps, I find myself trapped by the outside ones. As soon as I get into my car, it starts beeping. Is it the seatbelt sign? Is the door still open? Is the trunk not correctly closed? Are the lights on? Am I backing up? It really drives me insane.

 

Even worse than car beeps is going to a shopping center. It is like entering the beeps nest. Hundred of beeps will fall right into my ears within 10 seconds. Bar code scanners, phones, security sensor alarm, security doorway; all are beeping at me for no reason.

 

Living in a modern world where everything talks back to me is really distracting and frustrating.  Can’t I just get rid of all these beeps around me? Can I please have just one single day beep-free?

No comments:

Post a Comment