Thursday, November 15, 2012

Final Reflection by Cody Griffin


Starting out with this class, I came in with minor writing skills and developed them during the following weeks. [WRT 1150] has changed my perspective of writing—not just writing, but how to read writing in a sense of how it works and flows. I’ve seen how I have improved over the course and how basic my writing was before I joined this class. This class showed me a lot more than I have ever expected from a writing class, from the people who were here with me, helping me, guiding me, and best of all, grew on me. These tutors are more than just tutors, they are people willing to put the time and effort to help you improve, help you go that extra mile and help you strive to think outside the box. These honest and trustworthy tutors don’t shut your ideas down or say that’s not completely right; they show you other ways of tackling that problem and how to overcome it. They do nothing but help, laugh, and encourage you to do your best. These are the people you wish you could meet all along. You become that writer you never knew you had in you until you’ve taken the time to show your work!

 

My favorite piece of work thus far is my “Pet Peeves” essay. To me, it’s an obvious choice compared to all the others. It showed me where I can take my writing, not just to the next level, but more in-depth. It expresses things that annoy me, but not just that, it shows a common place among people and the people who read it. I love how it turned out and how it expresses me in just a short yet vivid way. It’s one piece to the puzzle about me that people will like, and it shows a different side of me. This paper represents my voice among all the other pieces as it’s the most descriptive one of them all.

 

The most difficult paper for me so far would be the research paper. It wasn’t how I started it or when looking up information (because there was a lot on it). It was the structuring and putting it all together. With so much information at hand, I had to pick and choose which pieces I wanted to tell and which ones I didn’t. Leaving out the other pieces felt like I was missing some points, but on the other hand, I got across the points I wanted.

 

I have learned a lot after taking this class. I know how to punctuate better, how to organize my paragraphs and papers, how to give a lot of detail to make readers feel like they were there and how to structure my papers to make them flow. It showed me where I stood, and then took me to the next level in writing. To reiterate, my writing was basic among a lot of people, and after taking this class, I have gone from that novice writer to the average or more writers and continue to write. I would like to thank all the tutors who came to know me and help me out when I needed it. I would especially like to thank Frances and Charity for all their help during this process. Frances showed me the ropes, gave me a light to the end of the tunnel, and told me not to give up. Charity gave me a different perspective of writing, how to work with the sentence I have and tweak it. Charity also showed me how to be more specific and detailed about each sentence I wrote. As my journey is coming to an end with this class, my writing is not!

No comments:

Post a Comment