Thursday, November 15, 2012

Learning my Passion by Marina DeLuca


Reading is my escape. Whenever I feel stressed out or bored, reading is the perfect way for me to relax by enabling me to get lost in a story. It is hard to believe that reading was not always easy for me. In fact, during first grade, while all of the other kids were learning to read storybooks, I was still trying to grasp the concept of reading words out loud. The trouble I experienced with reading allowed me to work hard at learning the skill and, once I got the hang of reading, I never stopped. 

 

It all started in Mrs. Kokoszka’s first grade class at Isbister Elementary school. My peers and I were learning how to read. Every student had to read out loud passages from a storybook to the teacher. When it was my turn, I struggled with saying each word out loud.  I felt like I was missing a piece to the puzzle and without it, I could not read.  After a couple of attempts at reading one-on-one with Mrs. Kokoszka, and nights being read to by my mom, it became clear that I needed help from a professional.

 

I was sent to a small reading group with a couple of my peers. The classroom was located in a hallway I was unfamiliar with and reminded me of a similar room that students only went to for listening exams. Our helper was this blonde, middle aged lady who greeted us with kindness. After some extra time spent with the group, this place seemed enjoyable. It was an environment filled with words of encouragement, and I was learning how to read without even knowing it. I liked spending extra time reading with everyone; it was like a tiny club I was in, and I was good at it. The time came when I did not need to stay in the reading group anymore, and it was sad for me to leave because I was enjoying my time there. The good news was I had finally learned how to read.

 

Now that I had the hang of reading, I could not stop. No matter where I went, I always had a book in my hand. In the dark early mornings on the school bus, I would hold the book up to my face during the whole half hour just so I could keep reading only a few more pages. I read everything from the Nancy Drew series to Shel Silverstein poems. My mom could not take me to Laurel Park without me begging for another book from Borders. My mentors had created a monster and I was unstoppable.

 

I would get so wrapped up in a story that I would lose all of my other senses. For example, I remember one time during third grade I was reading a Harry Potter book, and our teacher had directed the class to put away our things and gather to the front of the room. I was so entranced by what I was reading that I did not even hear the class move on to the next part of our day. Finally, Ms. Mitchell called my name to get my attention, which snapped me back to reality. Even today, I still find myself in similar situations when I can block out all of my surroundings when I'm reading a captivating book.

 

All it took was that one moment where reading just clicked for me. All the extra time spent with my mentors paid off. Without their help, I may have never found my passion for reading. Now it is hard to imagine my life without books. I always like to remind myself of the struggle I had with reading because it reminds me that if one works hard enough, things will work out in the end and make sense.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment